US Approves Removal of Airport Security Checks

Friday, 27 November 2009 00:00 News Editor
Print
The Nassau Airport Development Company (NAD) yesterday said approval had been granted for it to remove the two secondary security checkpoints on the US Departures lounge's upper levels, freeing up more than 7,000 square feet for extra seating and retail options.

The airport developer said in a statement that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), a division of the US Department of Homeland Security, had approved the checkpoints' removal.

"We are pleased to announce that effective immediately, passengers travelling to the United States through our airport will no longer have to proceed through a secondary screening," said Frank Watson, Chairman of NAD and the Airport Authority.

"This is a significant milestone for us at the airport. It shows the confidence the TSA has in our ability to run a secured pre-clearance facility. The move is a huge boost to customer service as we work to enhance the overall passenger experience at LPIA."

NAD and the Airport Authority's security team, headed by M.J. Hutchinson, acting general manager, Osbourne Ferguson, director of security, and Andrew Bonaby, deputy director of security, worked with Steve Perris, a Vancouver Airport Services security consultant, in final preparation for a TSA evaluation that took place in the autumn.

As a result of LPIA being in compliance with all regulations for passenger screening, the TSA recommended that a secondary security screening checkpoint was no longer necessary at the facilities.

Source: The Tribune